There was this super cool project on Indiewalls where the clients are looking for a huge mug shot of a woman wearing sunglasses to cover the entire back wall of al elevator. They wanted to add a perforated metal sheet in front of the artwork (which I love) and it was to be a digital piece so i whipped out my iPad Pro. I created the piece in Procreate and decided to give her bright Kaleidoscopic sunglasses and a bold red lip so it would stand out from behind the perforated metal sheet. Here's what she would look like with the metal sheet and I've photoshopped her into the rendering of the elevator. :D The piece measures 60in x 84in
I finally finished the second strip as well and decided to wait for feedback from Indiewalls and the client before I began to work on the 3rd strip. The project involved 15 hour drawing days and then at least 3 hours of photoshopping per day to complete. I'm pleased with the result and feel like this could be something that would work in the space. Here's what parts 1 & 2 look like together and then of course a few 'in situ' images are in line :)
There is this brand new project on Indiewalls, which got me super excited. I'm not sure if you remember but last year, there was a restaurant in Plano, TX, which was looking for an Asian/Western fusion themed wall covering for a restaurant, and I had pitched 2 pieces. The motif with the longhorn skull is one my favorite artworks till date. So when I saw a call for another wall covering, I jumped at the opportunity.
This time, the brief states its looking for a 'black and white pop art comic strip; wallcovering to go on an approximately 22'W x 11' wall', and the inspiration image provided looks like this.
The concept sounds super cool and I began to brainstorm. For ideas, I started looking at Romance/Adventure comic books from the 50s, and decided to bring in an Eastern flair to the strip. Since the wall is wider than it is taller, I'm working on 3 pages morphed onto the wall. Each drawing on each page is a separate .psd file, which I'm then Photoshopping together into the master file. Here's what the first page looks like!
Day 2, I decided to shift focus to a 30x40 inch canvas, which I had been wrestling with for days. The urgency to complete the piece within the day pushed me to stop procrastinating. The palette changed drastically and a part of me feels like it was in response to the pressure. No complaints though :) Here she is. Titled Memorabilia.
Last year, I was watching #the100dayproject hashtag on instagram and followed it closely. Honestly, I was so jealous I hadn't heard about it earlier because I would have loved to participate and be a part of it. There was so much I felt I could have learned during the commitment period. Lucky for me, I came across it just yesterday once again and I am SO PUMPED. Today was the first day of the project and my contribution would be #100daysofabstractexpressionism
During the next 100 days, I'm going to be focusing on smaller mixed media studies on paper and on composition, which is something I've been determined to do from the beginning of the year. Can't wait to see all the pieces and the growth at the end of the cycle.
Here's my work from the first day. Its titled 'Somewhere in the Middle'.